Friday 23 February 2018

Digital Packing


I will put a bunch of files in the Downloads section.

These have taken a while to put together, but I am getting quicker with practice and experience. All of the Documents are loaded to Dropbox in a logical structure, and backed up. 

Finally they loaded to their respective devices:
  • Kindle Paperwhite - PDF documents and books to read
  • Garmin eTrex 20 GPS - Maps for all the countries on this journey. GPX files for Tracks and Waypoints
  • iPhone 5s - KML files for Tracks and Waypoints, PDFs for reference and reading (including a Profile of the trail)
  • iPad Mini 2 - Same as the iPhone. Used for overview and planning but not taken on the trail
Tracks
The tracks are taken from the Lycian Way path as marked on Open Street Maps (OSM). Wherever it is not 100% accurate I will go with whatever is marked on the ground and attempt to record the differences where these are material.

Waypoints
The waypoints are a considerable mixture. Some are recorded by friends who have done it already and recorded where they camped. Others are from websites, and others I created from OSM. A notable example of the latter is one file with every water source that I could find, so that I have an explicit “pin” for each point. As I progress along the trail I intend to record camping places and any significant water sources that are not already marked.

Apps
I have installed the TrailSmart App and set it to the Lycian Way. It appears to contain a wealth of information and will be a useful supplement to my regular mapping app.
My normals apps (iOS) include: Maps.Me, Kindle, Acrobat Reader and Dropbox. 

SIM
I intend to get a TurkCell Sim card with a data package to be able to stay in touch with a few friends. I’ll put my regular SIM into a spare little plastic Nokia 108, just as a backup and for any occasions when I need to receive an SMS on that specific phone. Assuming it does roam there. TurkCell seem to be the best deal as far as I can tell at this stage. I will get it once I arrive in Antalya.

No comments:

Post a Comment